Wednesday, January 12, 2011

edited silhouette #1




















     I liked the 'disconnected' nature of this character.  I wasn't quite sure how to clean up the original image on the right, so I basically broke it down into twelve separate elements, then 'outlined' each one with the polygonal lasso tool and then filled in with 'paint bucket' to  create sharper lines, and put each element on a separate layer in PS.  I tweaked the sidearm and pocket sap.  This character is some sort of noir entity, and he's ready for action.  The hat is, for me, a major part of the visual recognition, so I wanted to leave it oversized. I didn't straighten the lines up as much on the hat, since a well-worn fedora frequently has a 'rumpled' look.  The lines on the right side of the figure are supposed to be an allusion to the wide lapel of a trench coat, and the way that that coat tends to flare out some at the bottom, but you might not read it this way.  I'm just not that facile with PhotoShop, so it might not look like a huge amount of effort, but you don't even want to know how long this took.

No comments:

Post a Comment